2015 Strawberry Festival Cook-Off Recipes
Overall Champion: Rebecca Fry of Demorest, Ga.
Recipe: Granny Jo’s Homemade Strawberry Cake
1 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1c. butter – softened
2 c. sugar
3 c. cake flour
2T baking powder
5 egg whites
small instant vanilla pudding
2 oz. strawberry preserves
1 c. coconut
1 c. pecans
1 lbs. fresh strawberries
1 c. butter –softened
1 pkg. cream cheese
3 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; Grease pans; Stir milk and vanilla; Beat buttercream; Beat in sugar until fluffy; Sift flour and baking powder; Alternate flour and milk to butter; Beat egg whites until stiff peaks; Gently fold in preserves, coconut, pecans; Process strawberries – add in last; Bake 20-25 minutes; Cool completely
Category: Youth - Deserts
Winner: Ian Pardue of Lula, Ga.
Recipe: Strawberry Cheesecake Lush
1 package Golden oreos
6 TBSP of melted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 16 oz. container of cool whip
2 packages (3.4 oz) instant cheesecake pudding mix
3 cups of milk
3 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- Crush Oreos, add melted butter, layer in a 13 x 9 glass baking dish, place in fridge; Beat 1 cup of powdered sugar, cream cheese, and 1 cup of cool whip. Spread over cookie crumbs; Mix pudding, milk and 1 cup cool whip. Spread over cream cheese layer; Layer strawberries on top and add remaining cool whip; Keep refrigerated until ready to serve
Category: Adult - Cakes
Winner: Alejandra Delgado of Gainesville, Ga.
Recipe: Strawberry Impossible Cake
1 can La Lechera Sweet Condensed milk (14 oz.)
1 can Carnation Evaporated milk (12 oz.)
1 box white cake mix – no pudding added
1 box (3 oz.) of Jell-O strawberry gelatin
1 cup Fresh strawberries sliced or chipped
1 cup Cool Whip whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; Mix 1 can of La Lechera sweet condensed milk, 1 can of Carnation Evaporated milk and the 3 eggs; Pour into a fluted pan previously greased; Mix cake according to box instructions and blend in gelatin powder; Slowly pour cake mixture into fluted pan; In a large pan pour enough water to cover about half of the pan. Carefully place in the oven and then place fluted pan in the middle of the large pan with water; Bake for 1 hour or until a fork inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean; Let cake cool down before unmolding for about one hour or refrigerate for 30 minutes. Unmold cake onto a round plate and decorate with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
Category: Adult – Other
Winner: Tiffany White of Jefferson, Ga.
Recipe: Strawberry-Lime Jam
5 cups prepared strawberries
2 teaspoons lime zest
1/3 cup lime juice
1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin
½ teaspoon of butter
7 cups sugar, measured into another bowl
- While that runs, fill a water canner half full and bring to a boil; Prepare the strawberries by removing the hull and crushing them with a potato masher. Add to a large stock pot and mix in the lime zest and juice. Stir in the pectin and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Add the butter and stir in the sugar. Stir, stir, stir! Return to a rolling boil and cook exactly 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, skim off any foam with a metal spoon. Ladle the mixture into prepared jars, leaving 1/8 inch headspace. Carefully add the lids and screw bands on tightly. Place the jars onto an elevated rack in the canner. The water must completely cover the jars.
- Bring to boil and process for ten minutes. Remove and place on the towel to cool – then wait for all the little PING noises from the jars. Once the jars are fully cooled, check the seals and refrigerate any jars that pop back when you press on the lid.